Toyota Motor Corporation has announced the nationwide roll-out in Japan of "Toyota Share," a car-sharing service provided by Toyota dealers and Toyota rental and leasing branches.
It has also announced the launch of "Chokunori," a new unmanned rent-a-car service. Both services will be available starting on October 28.
Toyota said it is working to provide new mobility services with deep local ties by collaborating with nationwide Toyota dealers and Toyota rental and leasing branches with the aim of becoming a mobility company in a once-in-a-century transformational period.
Features of Toyota Share outlined by Toyota;
Toyota constructed a nationwide common service system and developed apps and devices. Toyota dealers and Toyota rental and leasing branches will use the above tools to operate these businesses.
Nationwide common service system
- No admission fees or monthly membership fees*1; rates are set at reasonable levels to facilitate short-term use.
- Cars are equipped with safety features to enable customers to drive in clean vehicles with peace of mind.
- An extensive lineup of Toyota vehicles is available including compact cars, minivans, and SUVs. Toyota plans to expand the lineup even further, including new models, in the future.
Development of apps and devices
- In addition to developing a dedicated app, Toyota developed a Smart Key Box (SKB) that allows customers to unlock and lock vehicles using a smartphone, and TransLog II, a device that captures vehicle information (position and driving distance) necessary for car-sharing operations.
- Customers can use a smartphone to perform member registration, unlock and lock vehicles, return vehicles, and pay the fees.
Toyota said it will continue to enhance services in the future to provide even greater convenience by increasing payment methods, awarding points to customers according to their driving technique, and offering car-sharing services to corporate customers.
Features of Chokunori
A new service that maintains Toyota Rent-a-Car quality and rates while reducing rental and return procedure times by offering unmanned rentals.
- Differences from Toyota Rent-a-Car services: One-way use is not permitted; driving distance charges are collected by equipping vehicles with a fuel card; and other.
Like Toyota Share, Toyota constructed a nationwide common service system and developed a dedicated app and new devices to support effortless use.