Hardstaff Barriers, a division of Hill and Smith Ltd, is a leading supplier of temporary and permanent vehicle restraint systems (VRS).
The company offers a nationwide service incorporating the sale and/or rental of barrier units, which have been installed on many routes across the UK road network and are all designed to keep road users and road workers safe.
The company employs a team of passionate highway barrier experts, with many years’ experience in the effective use of VRS in road major projects. Hardstaff Barriers’ concrete and steel highways systems are regularly installed:
• At the roadside
• In the central reserve
• To protect bridge structures
• To provide edge protection
Other products include, hostile vehicle mitigation (HVM) systems, perimeter fencing, security barriers and access gates.
Hardstaff’s clients include Highways England, Tier 1 and Tier 2 contractors, police forces, security services, major event providers, airport operators, construction firms, highway construction and maintenance providers and nuclear power stations.
As trusted experts in the industry, Hardstaff is also the appointed contractor for the UK Government’s National Barrier Asset (NBA) framework. Recent projects include:
• Installation of temporary safety barriers and security fencing along the A64 (M) in Leeds during a two-year bridge reconstruction project
• The supply of new permanent concrete barriers to protect the columns of bridges crossing over the M8 motorway in Scotland
• Installation of new HVM fencing at Heathrow Airport to provide protection against potential vehicle-borne attacks
• The supply of two remote controlled, solar-powered traffic gates to control the speed and flow of HGVs boarding P&O Ferries at the port in Cairnryan, near Stranraer
Reflected in its ‘For the Love of Lives’ tagline, the company is committed to playing its part in the reduction of road deaths and injuries. In 2020 alone, 1,472 people died in collisions on the UK’s roads. To assist in the fight against road deaths, Hardstaff Barriers supports a number of campaigns including Brake Road Safety Week, National Road Victim Month and was a key sponsor in the Andy Cox 200km challenge in 2021, which raised £50,000 for the charity, RoadPeace.
Hardstaff Barriers provides:
- A complete barrier transportation and installation service.
- A professional team of installers that are competent in VRS installation, using the latest equipment.
- A dedicated team to carry out site visits to advise and design barrier protection options.
- The delivery of barriers and accessories via a fleet of HGVs within 24 hours, if necessary.
- Our team can be on site, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (subject to availability).
- Installation, relocation and removal of barriers.
- Site inspections and maintenance for long-term installations.
View the latest issue