The contract covers the North West and South East of England, with both companies working in collaboration, becoming sole providers of Highways England spatial planning services in these regions.
Both companies will provide a number of services to Highways England, including:
- Safety appraisals of existing and proposed highways
- Review of environmental assessments and transport assessments relating to the strategic road network
- Assessing the combined impact of developments on the strategic road network
- Undertaking traffic studies, scheme evaluation and traffic modelling projects
- Working on national and regional network reports and management strategies, including the spatial planning statements, and integrated regional strategies.
Darren Oldham, operations development director, transport planning, Mouchel Consulting, said: “We’re thrilled to have won this contract. Spatial planning is a crucial part of maintaining the strategic road network and facilitating economic growth, and we’re looking forward to building on our strong relationship with Highways England to support sustainable development and regeneration while providing drivers with a safe, free-flowing and accessible network.”
Lesley Waud, strategic highways market director at Atkins, said: “Spatial planning is necessary for the long-term and appropriate development of the strategic road network. Atkins is delighted to have won the Highways England South East and North West framework contracts; and to be working in partnership with Mouchel Consulting to safely improve regional connectivity while facilitating wider economic growth.”